Friday, January 27, 2006

It USED to have a match...

My favorite bowl is one that my mom painted at a local ceramic shop. She thought it would be great to paint a bowl for Brach and a bowl for me. Despite the fact that her version of me doesn't feature my pristine white chest and face and she failed to paint me wearing my tiara, it was awesome!

Up until about a year ago, we used these bowls regularly for our kibble and water. Mom was diligent at giving each of us equal time. She had a theory that it wasn't fair to always put water in my bowl because that meant Brach's image would always be covered with non-transparent food. I never did buy into this philosophy. What could be more pleasant than seeing a magnified caricature of me staring back at me from beneath a shimmering pool of fresh water?

Anyway...last year, Brach climbed onto the kitchen counter after Mom had left the room. We heard a crash and saw Brach bolting from the kitchen.

We ran to the kitchen to find a broken coffee mug on top of a broken Brach Bowl, amid an avalanche of kibble.

I turned to Mom and said, "Well, at least if the boy is determined to be a hooligan, he has the courtesy to damage his bowl instead of mine!"

Of course, Mom only heard, "Meow...meow...meow!"

After shooing us into the other room to avoid any injury, Mom cleaned up the mess and replaced our customized bowls with a matching pair of the plain, navy-blue variety. She washed the Kukka Bowl and placed it in the cupboard.

Now, the Kukka Bowl is used for Mom's sole enjoyment. She says it's the perfect size for an enormous bowl of ice cream, a huge serving of cold cereal, and a movie's-worth of popcorn. I don't see why it can't be used for cat water!

If she wants a bowl for her purpose, she should paint one with her likeness on it!

12 comments:

William said...

That is one special bowl! We only get Corelle--you know, the unbreakable stuff. I would demand that you get to use that again--and that your mom add the tiera before giving it back to you.

I read about your vacation awhile back! It's pretty awesome that you can ride a horse. I stick to birds because they're smaller. Last year I went to Mardi Gras on a mourning dove. This time I chose a crow so I could remain stealth.

Patches & Mittens said...

Mine Mom sure loves that bowl! She wishes she had some for us girls!! We have see through glass bowls that are dishwasher safe (mom says that is portant)

Fat Eric said...

I LOVE your bowl - I want one! I have got a red bowl for my food but I do have a special bowl for my water. It was given to my sister Hattie as a present and it has a painting on it of a ginger girl cat (like my sister) looking at herself in the mirror. Even though it was her present she let me drink out of it too. When Hattie went to the Rainbow Bridge my mum said she thought Hattie would like me to have her bowl. so I still drink my water out of Hattie's bowl. And I don't mind that it is a bit girly for me!

one of us said...

Yes, how rude to steal your bowl, bite her ankles ~Merlin, Shadow, Ko Ko

Derby said...

Very cool, I will have to have my mum see if she can do that. But I agree they gotta be able to go through the dishwasher. Mum has to keep my acne in check. I get big bowls mum founded at Walgreens.

Kukka-Maria said...

The bowls Mom painted at the ceramic shop are dishwasher safe. I think I'm going to ask her to paint another Brach Bowl so we can have the set back.

Or...she could put ice cream in it for me!

Edsel/The Pooch said...

demand that bowl back!!

Max said...

I think she should make those bowls and sell them, because they're freaking AWESOME!

Finnegan & Buddy said...

Your Highness, it is wrong for your mom bean to punish you becos your brother broked his bole. She should give it back with lots of foods in it and make a new one for yore brother.

Finny

Les Trois Chats said...

That bowl is SO cute. I can see why you want it back!

~ turtle

Kelly Cat (whose Mama does ceramics, too) said...

You can tell your human that she did such a good job on this bowl that she should be able to do another one now that is even better, and when she makes it she can even put her own name on it so it's hers and she won't use your bowl anymore. You gotta butter up those humans to make them do what you want.

Gigolo Kitty said...

That is such an incredibly adorable bowl! I agree Kukka, she has NO business taking it away from you. Tell her to make one for herself. Or preferably a matched set of 6 to serve guests as well.