Wednesday, January 25, 2006

"NO" is just a suggestion

I love trying to open the lower kitchen cupboard door. Love it. I don't get too many chances to do it, since I have to fit in so many other priorities (like trying to get into the laundry closet, trying to open the bathroom cupboard doors, etc.).

When I do find the time to get into the kitchen cupboards (read: slamming the cupboard door against the foundation repeatedly because I am this close to actually opening it, but not quite), my mother is always there to rain on my parade.


"BRACH! NO!" says she.

"Slam, slam, slam" from me.

"BRACH-LEE! I MEAN IT! NO!!!" she exclaims.


See, now I have always believed that "NO" was merely a suggestion. When she says, "NO," I hear:

"BRACH, YOU MAY WANT TO CONSIDER NOT TRYING TO OPEN THE KITCHEN CUPBOARD DOOR...BUT THAT IS COMPLETELY UP TO YOU."

Am I wrong here?

8 comments:

Les Trois Chats said...

We dunno, Brach - we hadn't considered the finer points of "no." Clearly, there are some things to be considered. For instance, Nala believes that when there is a squirrel looking right in at her from outside, she must get on the counter to stare back. This is an emergency, after all. It's Homeland Defense. Wouldn't tha override "no"? Hmm.

William said...

Actually, when I hear "no," I take it to mean "Go for it, William!"

Knightly, Lizzie, & Firenze said...

I do the same thing with the cabinet doors. I love driving Mum crazy - especially at 2 am. As for "no", how we respond depends on the tone of voice Mom uses and if she is walking towards us (or running).

Firenze

beingmccrary said...

You are right Brach!

Derby said...

Mum may say NO in the human languge, but in kittie speak that means "GO FOR IT".

You go Brach.

Max said...

You are exactly right,because we all know the People don't know what they really want!

Bonnie Underfoot said...

To me, "no" means "don't get caught." So, they don't like to SEE me on the kitchen table... they won't SEE me there if I don't get caught. Yup, anything's ok, just don't get caught.

Patches & Mittens said...

Mom finally gave up and gave us two cupboards; she will even help us open them. She says we frazzle her nerves, whatever that means, so she decided the canned goods and our kitty foods cupboard were OK to climb and poke around in. She says NO to the pots and pans and rubbermaid drawer...something about fur in the food.