Wednesday, January 18, 2006

POINT/COUNTER-POINT:
Sleeping Under the Covers

I LOVE SLEEPING UNDER THE COVERS
by Brach

I love it. I love it. I love it!

First, sleeping under the covers is warm. After my mom makes the bed in the morning, I strategically place myself up by the pillows and I find the edge of the comforter. I flick it with my nose repeatedly until I am able to make enough room for my head to stick under it. Then, I press my nose to the bed and walk forward until my entire body is completely submerged. The ideal place to be, once you get under the covers, is the exact center of the bed. This almost guarantees you will not be jarred from a dead sleep with a burst of cold air.

Secondly, sleeping under the covers is safe. Too often, Mom likes to love on me when I am trying to nap. "Oh, you are sooooo cuuuuuute," she will coo. And then there is Kukka, who choose the most inopportune times to try to show me she is the boss. She is fond of waking me from my slumber by standing on me or biting my tail. Not cool. Sleeping under the covers allows me to get uninterrupted shut-eye.

Finally, sleeping under the covers is mysterious. I believe that when I am under the covers, I am completely invisible to the naked eye. Since neither Mom nor Kukka have X-Ray goggles, when I am under the covers, I become one of the world's greatest mysteries. At least that is how I'll tell it when I write my life story...



HELP! HELP!! I CAN'T BREATHE!!
by Kukka-Maria

Holy crap!! Someone please get me out of here! I've somehow found myself under some kind of blanket and am having an anxiety attack.

HELLO?! CAN ANYONE HEAR ME FOR CRYING OUT LOUD?!

I don't know what is going on...I can see absolutely NOTHING under here. My oxygen supply is quickly dwindling!

MOTHER!!

It's not clear to me how I got here and I'm not sure how to get out. Only moments ago, I tried walking through the dark abyss but I somehow I got turned around and am right back where I started.

This can not be my fate! I am too young! I am too beautiful! I have too many things yet to see and...

AHHH! Fresh air! Thank you for rescuing me, Mom.

Can I have some treats now?

17 comments:

PrincessMia said...

Kukka, I'm glad you made it out alive, I shudder to think what would have happened had you not been rescued. Thank goodness the mother was there in time. And where was your brother? He who lounges under covers must rescue those who panic under covers. That is the Law.

Knightly, Lizzie, & Firenze said...

We're with you Kukka - it's horrible under the covers. Sleeping on top of the covers is best since it's easier to trap humans.

The Monsters

Rafe said...

I'm with Brach on this one

Patches & Mittens said...

I like it best on top, I must keep mine eyes peeled for that Mittens and what she is up to!

Thanks for adding my link to your blog; we are adding yours (mom said she would help me)

Kukka-Maria said...

So the current score is
Brach: 1
Kukka: 3

I like those figures! Brach, are you reading this?

Ayla said...

Before the Dad moved in, I used to sleep under the covers with the Mom. It was nice and warm and quiet under there. However, when He moved in, he took up all the space, rolled around and snored! Now I enjoy the Mom's pillow. Not as warm but at least I don't have to worry about getting rolled over.

Les Trois Chats said...

Moose - under the covers is where the warmth is. I especially like poking out when no one knows I'm there.
Turtle and Nala - no covers, no covers, no covers!!!
Mom - Well-argued (and hilarious), Kikka-Maria and Brach! (And I just read "wax on wax off" - OMG, I'm still laughing...)

Les Trois Chats said...

Make that Kukka-Maria, your highness - it's difficult to type with these fluffy paws... I need bigger keys...

William said...

My bro and I are with Brach. Two votes for him!

Olivia and her kangaroo sleep under the covers only if Mom's there too. Split vote!

And Caroline prefers the top. Vote for Kukka!

Derby said...

Sorry Brach, we may look alike, but I don't like being under the covers. Fresh air please, I am with Kukka on this one.

moseskitty said...

Under the covers or over the covers. The only important thing is that the bed is MINE.

Brach said...

Despite Kukka's best efforts to skew the numbers her way, I demanded a re-count and took PrincessMia's vote away from Kukka. Mia was kind enough to worry about Kukka, but upon closer look, never truly voiced her own opinion. DENIED, KUKKA!

But, in Kukka's favor, she only counted Knightly, Lizzie & Firenze as one vote...and they are three.

So, by my (frustrating) calculations, I'm still trailing--
Brach: 5
Kukka: 10


Where are my burrowing peeps?

Magoo, Smudge, Bella & Dolce said...

I love sleeping under the covers between my mom and dad. I cuddle right to my mom and purr. It's great right up to the point we find out from dad that the chicken curry from dinner is coming back on him. At least he yells "Incoming" as a warning to me and mom. After that, every cat immediately clears the bed and Mom yells at Dad. He just snickers.

Magoo

Scooby, Shaggy & Scout said...

We are top of the covers cats. 3 to Kukka.

Kukka-Maria said...

I wish you cats could see my "victory dance." You'll have to wait until they do the E! True Hollywood Story on my life...I'm sure they have the footage.

Anyway...I thought I should update the scores because I feel it's very important that my victories be public. As Magoo's dad says, "INCOMING!!"

Brach: 6
Empress Kukka-Maria, The Great: 13

Henry said...

Empress, you are a good looking kitty. If you are ever in Dallas, drop by and I will have the human pull out the Wedgwood china whip us up some albacore tuna!

Sultanfus and Guy said...

You have been Tagged!

If you would like to play along visit our Blog!


PS- Glad you made it out allright. Guy hates being under covers also but Im a strange kitty and I like it.