Monday, May 15, 2006

Hollywood's Double Standard

Even though I've touched on feline body image issues before, I've been wanting to address the idea of a double standard for some time now. The Hollywood Dog/Cat double standard has reared its ugly head again this weekend in the form of me getting passed over for an action/adventure movie role by a major studio. They cast a dog in my place.

I know! I was shocked, too!

They told me that, because the role required me to do so many stunts and because I am, by feline standards, a smidge "rotund," they felt I was a health risk that would cause their insurance to skyrocket. Can you say, "Bullshit?" Because I can. And did. I don't think the risk of doing stunts had anything to do with me not getting cast at all. At all!

This situation is just another example of the double standard that exists in Hollywood. Cats are supposed to be thin as a rails and dogs are admired when they pack on the pounds!

For example, when people see a Rottweiler who is 100+ pounds, they marvel at the power, strength, stamina and force the statuesque animal possesses. Yet, if they were to see a domestic feline that was 100+ pounds, they would criticize the owners of the cat for allowing it to get so tubby (and they would probably call the Guinness World Records people because, come on...a 100-pound cat is pretty shocking).

When people see a large dog, they feel safe. "Protective" and "Watch Dog" are the types of phrases you hear as they moon over their portly canine. When they see a large house cat, they feel sick. "Lazy" and "Chronic Napper" are some of the things you'll hear about us!

Even some cats betray their own! Most of the cats that appear in commercials are dangerously thin. I'm going to say the taboo word here, folks: ANOREXIC. I honestly don't blame these cats. There is not a support system out there for felines with eating disorders. If no one is offering you help, you get non-stop praise and admiration for your bony body, and you are fed a minimal amount of food when your humans deem it necessary, what else is there for you to do but starve yourself and act in commercials?

Am I upset to learn they hired a Golden Retriever for my movie role? Yes. A little bit. You know, though, if the only roles I will ever be able to get are my Rubenesque rolls, I'll still be a happy cat.

Because, really...why would I want to risk my manicure on stunt work?

12 comments:

George, Tipper, Max & Misty said...

My dear, we mature girls are not overweight...we're generously endowed. So my belly sways when I run. So what! I'm already eating weight control formula. What else can I do? There's just more of me to love. And the skinny model-types on those little birdie legs. How do they even stand on those things?

William said...

Pfft. Let him have the stupid role. You are above it. Besides, you don't hear the expression, "I worked like a cat," do you? Because we are not dumb dogs.

Cheysuli said...

I have to speak to some of those thin cats Kukka--some of us are just naturally thin--we don't gain weight. Believe me, I'm a couch potato and I EAT. The woman laughs. Yet here I am thin as rail like those food commercial cats. It's genetics dear and you have been endowded with those larger boned genetics.

As we all know though, there are humans who just can't resist a hand on those squishy bellies and think they are the greatest thing. Hollywood (Doggywood as I call it) is only one city and they aren't always right.

Kukka-Maria said...

Chey, I appreciate what you're saying, and I believe you. BUT...Nicole Richie says she is just "naturally thin," too, and...well...I ain't pickin' up what she's throwin' down.

For now, I believe you. I am going to keep an eye on you, sister! I don't want you fading away to skin and bones on my watch!

The Meezers said...

Kukka, Gramma Trixie is a slight 7 lbs - but has been her entire life even though she has been known to eat half a cake in one sitting and never runs snywhere. She and Grampa Norton never weighed over 7.5 lbs their entire lives. However, even though she is fluffy, she's kind of bony. Miles is a solid 10 lbs and I think I am solid (although mommy calls me flabby) at 13 lbs. You are NOT fat or flabby. You look MAH-VE-LOUS. I appreciate a "real woman" cat over a model thin kitty.

Les Trois Chats said...

Who needs their stupid movie role, Kukka!? You are dropdeadgorgeous!!
~ moose

Xavier said...

You look fabulous to me!

Scooby, Shaggy & Scout said...

Kukka we second, third and fourth the above. You look fan-tab-u-los-is! We are both large 16 & 18 pound males and Scout will be a big cat too, and we really have no time for those little waifs.

Patches & Mittens said...

Momma read in a book today the following quote.....

Dogs think they are human.
Cats think they are God.

Enough said.......

Patches Lady

DEBRA said...

Kukka

I is as round as I am tall. Momma tells me all da time dat Manxies are "prized" for der roundness..wanna be a Manx? :-)

*ABBY

PS
You are bee-tee-ful!!!

Fat Eric said...

Big is beautiful!!

one of us said...

Oh Kukka-Maria you have uncovered an ugly hidden Hollywood secret Go Kukka ~Merlin, Shadow, Ko Ko